Friday, April 29, 2011

royal wedding

I promise this is my last post about the royal weeding.  it's hard to avoid..its on 24/7 now,  replays, fashion discussions, hat critiques (although I must admit, the Brits have cornered the market is great hats), the planned kiss. I suppose the positive is that I was flooded with great memories of our trip to London and Paris.  We loved the history, the pomp and circumstance-we were there during the Queen's birthday and caught a glimpse of her as she rode by with 174 footman.  The food, not so much.  Although we did have a great meal out near Stonehenge-a well designed Shepherd's Pie, hot and tasty, followed by homemade desserts and tea of course.  The tubes were on strike while we were there as well, which can present a major problem with getting around.  We used double deckers, just like to thousands of other Brits and tourists.  I had encountered an especially surly one trying to get home from work and tired of being trampled by tourists. He was biting people's heads off and quickly escaped upstairs-equally as crowded.  We ended up in the same 1 foot space of the the bus and being the charmer that I can be, made quick friends with him.  He hated everyone else, but loved us, gave us advice for travelling, and suggestions for dinner.  I suppose he recognized one cynic to another.
What struck me dumb was the length of hisory in this beautiful country.  There is something awesome about standing in Bath, England in the Roman baths, untouched since the 11th century.  And how DID those big stones end up in the middle of a field so far back to even imagine?  I have to say, I did think of Chevy Chase European vacation out in that field looking at well placed boulders.
So, my memories live on.  And so do the royal heirs in all their glory.  It's gotta be great to be the Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment