Monday, April 25, 2011

Royal Wedding

I don't know about you, but I am fed up with news of the upcoming nuptials of William and Kate.  It is a daily news story, often times 2-3 times a day.  I really don't care.  I'm happy for them and hope they live a long prosperous royal life.  But enough.
Do you think the American population is more obsessed than the English population?  We visited London a couple of years ago.  Took in many royal sights..mostly filled with tourists.  I find that part of British history fascinating, but not a reason to be obsessive.  It became a running joke among our family.  Andrew found a cardboard picture of the Queen on a popsicle stick, much to his father's dismay.  Alan has no tolerance for such royal entitement and comments on the Queen's love of her job and all the riches it awards her.  Andrew however, found this attitude a good reason to bring the Queen alive on a daily basis.  Our cardboard cutout would surface each day in London, to dance, make commentary in a crisp British dialect, and drive his father crazy. He would ask him daily in his best Queen voice..."Oh Alan, why do you hate me so?" She was a welcome addition to our tour-especially in the very quiet Westminster Abbey.

I obviously don't share the intense love of British monarchy as my mother however.  She could be a spokeperson to all things British. The best pubs, the best hotels, the best parades and tours.  And she knows the history better than our own.  We often tell her she should have been born a Brit, or at least lived in London.  Now she might be up at 4 AM to watch the royal wedding.  I, however, will view the highlights on the 6 o'clock news.

No comments:

Post a Comment