Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Got the blues

Now before you jump to conclusions, this is a very good thing.  I have had the great pleasure of spending some quality time listening to two great blues artists in the last 2 months at Rams Head tavern in Annapolis. Taj Mahal is still going strong after 50 years and then there's a new comer (sort of)-Shemekia Copeland, who roots come from her dad John.  I have a special affinity to blues music-seems it touches your soul and at the same time, makes you want to move your body.  How sexy is that?  Throw in some incredible guitar work, voices that began in gospel churches, and enough musical experience that could take us back to the days of Moses..well, how much better can it get?  There's just something about watching Bobby Blu Bland and B.B. King hobble out onto the stage, pull up some chairs (cause they can no longer stand) and belt out a song about loving your woman with that devilish twinkle in their eyes.  
Granted they might be beyond acting upon it, but its shared with soul and heart.
I've tried to love all genres of music and I know I might piss off a few folks, but I have trouble with the country music scene.  They all seem like they are whining about the wrongs in their lives or the loves they lost and I am not inspired to kick up my heels.  Yeah, I know, the blues sings the blues, but hey how can you go wrong with songs titled "Big legged Mamas are back in Style" "Big Kneed Girl" "Turn the Heat up" and Big Lovin Woman"?  And the next thing ya know, you are rockin your hips and shakin what your mama gave ya.  Music is one of life's greatest pleasures. Especially blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment