Wednesday, April 20, 2011

joys of gardening

My husband is an avid gardener and we are just launching into the new season, which he actually started in late winter.  He is so committed and passionate about his art and I have a great admiration for anyone who can grow sustaince to any degree.  Even a tomato is impressive to me.  Having 2 teens require a great deal of sustainment.Technically our food bill should drop considerable in the summer months. Not really. I forgot how much kids eat.  I grew up with 3 younger brothers who pretty much ate anything that wasn't moving.  I remember my mother returning from the grocery store with 5 gallon jug of milk, 10 pkg of store brand cookies, and 3 chickens-which she would turn into 43 gallons of chicken soup.  That would sustain the troops for a week. Well, the cookies last 15 minutes.
Once I moved out, I expected things to subside a bit-after all, they were older, not growing so much. So much for my theory-my brother inhaled my mother's facial mask one late night, thinking it was avocado dip.When I came to visit, the only thing in the fridge was a dried up orange. And a bottle of vodka in the freezer-with ice in it.  Obviously, liquor is a food group as well.
 I still think we are ahead of the game.  We eat better in the summer.  And everything tastes so good.  Just waiting on the blackberries and tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment