Saturday, June 18, 2011

summer has arrived!

And with it, we continue to have swimming pools in the library.  SO glad the worker bees replaced the ceiling tiles, only to be saturated and removed forcefully by massive water. It hasn't deterred the public-we attract large crowds once schools shut down.   But hey, its summer mode!  No more sports practices, homework, lunches..
TO celebrate summer, the library is hosting a Top Chef Pasadena program in August, where kids will compete for the title of Top Chef.  We have illustrious judges-our local councilman, our local delegate, and the owner of ther bakery next door.  Sharpen your knives and hone your skills..this will be a battle.
Veggies are just coming in in large quantities. It's time to be vegetarian.  More poolside reading. More days in the hammock. Day trips to Smith Island. Maybe in the convertible.
My favorite memories are summer days in Bay Ridge-filled with bay swimming (all day), sailing on our little sunfish (how I got that boat to the beach singlehanded and out to almost the shipping lanes without being mowed over is beyond me), pool until dark-robbing pinball machines for change to pay for lunch; playing pogo stick until I felt like I was always bouncing days when I was finished; stealing watermelons late into the night (another whole story); water balloon battles; bonfires on the beach...
I am so grateful my kids live near the water and can appreciate the joy of summers crabbing and swimming. Maybe not stealing watermelons.

No comments:

Post a Comment