Thursday, May 5, 2011

library cynicism

I think my cynic self has returned in full force.  Which usually means I need a vacation.  I attended a library conference this week-an all day workshop on well, it really doesn't matter.  Point was I attended simply to gain some continuing education credits.  So, I drove my ass to Ocean City, had a lovely evening with a good friend,and arrived the next morning, trying to prepare for the all day marathon. There probably wasn't enough caffeine to get me through that day.  A full eight hours, 2 short breaks, lunch, which should be an hour-closer to about 40 minutes (consisted of dried up turkey sandwich, chips, and a candy bar-very healthy). The program was an 8 hour power point, 2 exercises in a group-which is never successful cause no one wants to step up to the plate, and...I think that might be it.  Room was frigid-outside temp-50 degrees with cold rain, inside 60 degrees.  And there was some bozo in the room next to us conducting a program about bringing books to life by screaming and singing into a head microphone and strumming a loud guitar.  What book might that be? Flowers for Algernon?
Finally, after a marathon afternoon of 4 hours listening to ONE speaker talk about ONE library, I gave up the ghost and decided to leave.  I asked for my ContinuingEdU form, which they had, but they won't give to you until the announcement has been made that the program is over.And you give them your first born.  Thank god for my colleague, who offered to pick it up for me.
Let me end on a positive note..I was walking through the halls of the conference trying to keep myself awake.  There was a group meeting there as well-the Eastern Star.  What the hell is that anyway? I only know they all dress in white, men are in blue bow ties and white suits and thay are all over the age of 70. I might be kind here.  Anyway, an elderly gentleman was perched in the hall, people watching and said to no one in particular "Wow, these librarians sure are prettier than the ones from my day!" Hats off to you kind sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment