Tuesday, May 24, 2011

chesapeake blues fest

Oh how fortunate we were this year!  Most years it has rained.  Often times torrential downpours.  And this is just not pleasant as u sit on the bay where it 10 degrees cooler.  But this year we lucked out. Sun peeked out but stayed dry and comfortable.  I finally got my act together and joined my brother and sister in law for some great blues on the chesapeake bay.  It's been a few years since I've attended, but looks like the crowds haven't changed.  Audience is made up of mostly white, er..older folks (ok, my age) who come to rock out and catch a buzz in the port a potty . Now thats changed..5 years ago, pot smoke hung in the air like a cloud.  We also decided the food is by far much better than what you might get at the Seafood Fest.  Highlight for me was Dena Fuchs.  Wow..where did she come from?  SOunded like a modern day Janis Joplin with lots of soul. Little Feat was there with two of the original members.  They played updated bluesy versions of favorites like Dixie Chicken. But as an aside, they looked old.
What I do love about blues is the fact that so many musicians continue to age and continue to rock out, even if it requires walkers, wheelchairs, or assistance getting out on stage.  I recently saw Bobbi "Blu" Bland and BB King perform together. They needed assistance getting out on the stage and chairs to sit on and perform. And I think combined age mighta been around 175. No matter...they sing with soul and heart-hard not to be moved by that. Or maybe I was just thinking it be the last time I'll see them alive. The blues live on however.

No comments:

Post a Comment