Friday, August 3, 2012

library news

Now, this is an interesting report coming from one of our libraries:


"Shortly before seven o'clock I took a call from a male patron that was unique to me. He asked if we were the branch located on West Street. He then went on to say that a woman with red hair and lots of tattoos had been using our computers to solicit sex. He said he thinks she stole money from him. I interrupted him and asked if he would mind speaking to our PIC- he said yes. I told Cameron the story very quickly but he hung up before she could get on the line."

Today I was on the desk and the man who spoke with Suzanne came in and said he needed to speak privately with me about something. I sat with him at the tables in our reference area and he repeated the concern about a woman using our computers for prostitution. He said that it wasn't right because this is a county building. He added that he knew she was doing this because "we've been checking her email and we know that is what she's doing." He also said he thought from the conversation last night that we would make sure that this wouldn't happen in the library anymore.

I responded to this to tell him about the scope of the library's filter, and to clarify that library staff do not monitor private communications of patrons. I suggested that he contact the police, especially since he had mentioned that she may have stolen from him. He was nervous about contacting the police and asked me what they would do--I said that I didn't know exactly, but they were definitely a better resource for his concerns. I gave him Gloria's card in case he (or the Police) needed to follow up. I asked him for his name and contact but he wanted to stay anonymous. He seemed anxious about staying in the library any longer, saying "I can't let her know I was here" and "I'm asking you to not tell her that I did this." He said he had to go because he is a cab driver. His description: white, middle aged, slim build, has red hair and lots of tattoos.


Perhaps he has a duel personality? And he is soliciting sex with himself?

No comments:

Post a Comment