Thursday, August 23, 2012

library phone call

At the information desk today and the phone rings. it is a fairly quiet afternoon:

Customer: "Hi, I would like to know if you have a book."
Me: "okay, what is it?"
Customer: "Fahrenheit"
Me: "Fahrenheit? You mean Fahrenheit 451?"
C: "I guess so. My son asked me to call and get it. It is for Honors English 10th grade."
Me: No copies available, but I can order it."
C: will he have it by tomorrow?
Me: No.
C: Well, do you have the list of the books they have to read? And could you check the titles and tell me if you have any of them?"

Now I will interject and say this is Thursday. The book needs to be read by Monday. And now, I need to find the list AND look and see if we have any titles.

Me: I do have one copy of Handmaid's Tale.
C: OK I will be in the pick it up.

She arrives an hour later and goes to check the book out. Unfortunately, her son has a book out from LAST summer's assignment that was never returned and the book is considered lost. Her daughter tells her mom the overdue book is sitting in his room(looks like for a year). She leaves, without the book. But promises to be back with the overdue book. We explain it will be a 10.00 fine once she returns it. "WHAT FOR?" Well, because you are returning the book a year later.
Makes me more grateful for my daughter....

No comments:

Post a Comment