Thursday, November 3, 2011

family roots

I have been inspired (not sure what the inspirtation came from) to start searching information about my family heritage. Perhaps it was the death of Alan's mom that got me thinking about where we all come from and what sordid, I mean, heroic, activities those ancestors have done. Fortunately, its much easier to do this sort of thing nowadays. Ancestry.com is a great online source and its free through the library. i didn't really have any interest in this, but it has been a great exercise in reference work, which I miss. So, I poke around a little everyday. I am focused on my father's side of the family, as my mother has been looking on her side. Fortunately, my father's relatives are local, mostly Baltimore and Pennsylvania. Highlights of my search include: My great grandfather owned a saloon in Fell's Point called Andy's Place. I have a great pic of the bar, but didn't know who the lounging, happy men were in front. My grandmother was married before she married my grandfather. Now that was news... My great grandfather also ran a boarding house and was involved in Baltimore politics. He had a run in with the law when he dumped manure behind his house (he had stables) and the city had a fit . Always a rebel... I continue to search..perhaps some other dark secret will pop up..as my mother is hoping. She is so hoping her staunch Methodist mother in law has some child out of wedlock. Don't hold your breath..

No comments:

Post a Comment