Monday, December 19, 2011

Seasons Greetings!


I pondered whether I would do a letter this year, as the times have changed with all this techy stuff. I probably talk to most folks on some social network, but there are others who haven’t embraced all this stuff yet-so, here I am.
We have had a good year, even with the little bumps in the road. I am a little more enthusiastic about the holidays this year. Maybe cause Maddie is old enough to wrap all my gifts for me. Never mind that I have to pay her...it’s worth it.
So, the Adams had some travels this year. Jen took a trip to Ver-
mont this year in July and spent a week in the mountains hiking and bonding with other women. I had a fabulous time, despite a few challenging women who arrived from Canada and one from the upper East side of Manhattan. Canadian women listened to no one and won-dered off on their own-which distressed our young charges who don’t want to lose anyone or have them fall off a mountain. They wore designer hiking outfits and came equipped with personal hiking sticks. I’m surprised they didn’t have a hiking valet to carry their belongings. The New York socialite arrived with many bags, demanded they hold up the hikes until she arrived in the lobby to catch the shuttle, and wondered why there were no bathrooms in the woods.
In August, we headed to Colorado to visit Sean and Laura. Colorado is a beautiful place-in the summer. We climbed the rocky mountains where we left 85 degree heat to snow. And elk crossing the road in front of us. This thrilled all of us, especially Alan, who feels he needs up close and personal contact with wildlife (bears in California, buffalo in South Dakota) for that incredible snapshot. Loved Sean and Laura’s house..old but charming. And perhaps a bit haunted.
Andrew is in his third year of school and doing well. I do admire his ability to juggle school and work (a graduation requirement)-even though his new job on campus this year is on the fiber arts crew. He weaves and spins wool..and is paid. I like it. And he has service work to do as well. He thought of volunteering for some nursing homes and reading aloud to older adults. Gotta be aware you will read what they want you to read-could be Harlequin American Romance number 158…
Maddie is thriving in her first year of high school. Maintaining the principal’s honor roll, play-ing field hockey and is now on the school's swim team. She is organized and meticulous about her life, except maybe her room. But she assured me she is aware of where everything is on the floor, by grid number.
Alan is still working at Carderrock..no more overtime, which I think is healthier for all of us. Yoga is part of his routine..he is getting more Zen. That’s good too. I am still with the li-brary, faced with salary cuts again this year. Hoping things change next year. Staying busy with aerobics, swimming, reading, craft projects (did a mosaic table), and anything else that catches my fancy.
Hope all of you have a wonderful holiday and new year!! The Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment