Thursday, October 13, 2011

high school sports

I am deep into the field hockey season at the local high school and I walked in as a high school sports virgin. My extra curricular activities with Andrew were always music and drama. That's pretty straight forward...rehearsal time a couple of time a week, some costume requests, and 3 performances. This has been a whole different ball game. Practice 5-6 days a week, in between games. We are responsible for supplying treat bags for your 'big sister'-someone on varsity, as they supply one for you on game day. I was just given 25 fundraiser cards to sell..its a lottery thing. Yes, 25. And no, I have no desire to stand out in front of a grocery store begging people to buy them. We have texas roadhouse fundraiseer. And to top all this off, we do team dinners once a week...girls (19 in all) come to your house or you go to the field and supply dinner for all of them. Fortunately, a varsity mother stepped up and we did it in the cafeteria...quick and easy. I realize sports and the arts are the least funded in public schools and this certainly seems to emphasize the point. I don't remember any of this when I was in high school. Then again, I think I did bowling.

No comments:

Post a Comment