Monday, August 15, 2011

sports in high school

Before I launch into my string of opinions, a small addendum to Saturday's blog..actually lost 3 and 1/2 pounds. Guess I did something right.

So begins the fall sports tryouts for the local high school. I didn't go through this with Andrew, as he was ensconsed in drama and theater during those years. Saturday was the first day..they had to report at 6 AM and ruin their asses off. It that simple. You run fast, you get on the team. Stick skills are secondary. I asked Maddie how it went. She threw up twice and kept on running. Today they report at 3 30 to do a timed 2 mile run. Now, I don't know about you, but I am not sure I've seen a field hockey running for 2 miles on the field without stopping. Sure this isn't field and track? I guess they are weeding out the quitters and those who don't have stamina.
I didn't do many sports in high school, but really don't remember having to run for 2 miles. Maybe cause I took bowling and archery. Maddie is a bit stressed about this upcoming endeavor-can't blame her, but whatever you do, don't quit. And I suppose if you do because of cramps and barfing, there's always bocce ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment