Wednesday, September 25, 2013

ode to dad

Today would have been my father's 85 birthday had he lived past 59. It is a good day to reflect on him and his impact on our family, as well as his colorful and amusing life. I would not have pursued my career as a librarian had it not been for my dad. I spent a good part of my late teens and early 20's attending library conferences, which actually meant a big party opportunity for my father. We attended all free food and alcohol events vendors offered librarians. Meetings required sticking your head in the door and moving on to the closest bar for a drinkie poo.
Because he lived near new york, caravans of me and my friends would travel to see him and his best friend Betty, who was always kind enough to put us up for the weekend. It always involved drinking and debauchery..in that order.
My parents separated when I was around 11 and he would come visit every 2 weeks. I think he finally stepped up in the decade and purchased a mustang. Our previous "new" cars were usually 2 decades behind..our excitement would build knowing he was coming home with a new car, which turned out to be a 1958 plymouth with big fins on the bumpers. And holes in the floor board. We never were much of a car family...
Not everything was fun and frolic with my dad, but this is a time to remember the good times. He had his share of struggles, but hell, he had a great time dealing with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment