Wednesday, September 12, 2012

another library chapter

It is yet another saga in library land...

At 1:25 p.m., regular patron Richard Miller asked me to call an ambulance for him because he was having symptoms of a TIA. When I spoke to the ambulance dispatcher and gave him Mr. Miller's name, he immediately knew who he was. Paramedics arrived around 1:32 p.m. As the first paramedic entered the building, I introduced myself and he said "Is it our friend?" The paramedics spoke with Mr. Miller and he left on a stretcher.

We have also called an ambulance for Mr. Miller on 8/25, 8/23, 8/16, 7/30, 7/24, 6/12, and 3/24 of this year

Maybe staff need to stop beating up our patrons.



Patron Mr Salerno entered the building Thursday Aug 23 (6:15PM) with a small energetic dog on a leash. He went immediately to the Hold shelf. Alyssa approached him and explained that non service dogs are not allowed in the building. He replied that it was okay he'd be out in a minute. He then went with the dog to the Circulation desk to check out his books. He started to argue with Alyssa when I told him that he needed to take the dog outside before he checked his books out. He left (without his books) saying his wife would kill him if he left the dog outside.

About an hour later Mr Salerno came back to the branch without the dog; checked out his items and approached me at the information desk.

He asked, 'to see where it says no dogs in the library because I've been bringing my dog into the library for three years and there's no sign or anything'. He very patiently waited while I found the line in the P & P that states,

"According to AACPL Rules and Regulations, "Only animals assisting people with disabilities are allowed in the building."

He wanted me to know that he has brought his dog in here for three years and we needed to get a sign up right away. I told him I would pass his suggestion on to the branch manager.

I have seen parrots, rabbits, squirrels, ferrets..they all have visited the library. Maybe we need to be more inclusive with our list of animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment