Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Living in a Republican World

Most can gather from my posted pic that I spent a great day in Washington DC at the "Stop the Insanity" rally with many like minded people. See, these are necessary for my own sanity.  I live in a community where McCain signs outnumber Obama signs 10-1.  Discussions among most are centered around Obama's birthplace, driving the country into despair, and let's not forget 'socialized' health care.  It's white, middle class, and conservative.
I pride myself in my liberal roots.  I grew up on picket lines and marches on Washington.  I knew the words to "We Shall Overcome"  before the "Star Spangled Banner".  I was working polling places for Hubert Humphrey-and I am still not sure how we got around the age thing.  Yeah, there were moments where I wish pogo sticking and sailing were on the agenda, not a long day of fighting for the migrant workers.  But the trade off was a solid understanding of the value of all walks of life.  The importance of diversity and looking at the world from a global perspective.  We seem to be headed in a direction of isolation in America. How scary and unproductive. The bumper sticker says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment