Tuesday, April 14, 2015

library stories...

Musings from the library. it has been relatively quiet lately. how boring....


Regular Customer Freddy Waving New Undershorts in the Library


As I walked past the magazine area I noticed a regular customer named Freddy waving a pair of new men's undershorts from out of a plastic bag. I approached him and told him that it was inappropriate to sort underwear in the library. He said that he just got them and that I didn't have to be so damn nasty. He went on to say that he was just sorting his "f...ing laundry". He continued to rant at me with a few additional curse words. I repeated my statement that what he was doing with his underwear was inappropriate in the library and I warned him that if he continued to curse at me I would ask him to leave the building. I then walked away.
I heard him muttering and using a few four-letter words as he continued to pack up his clothing into plastic bags. Within a few minutes he left the building.

Gotta watch out for those senior citizens

Disruptive disgruntled patron, scratched desk
A little after lunch, , Mr Ralph entered the library. He went to the returns area where Becky and Steph were waiting to help direct customers around our new branch. When they showed him where to return his books, he very loudly began to complain about the bookdrop, how low it is to the ground, and how he doesn't have two hands free to bend down and put books in (he walks with a cane). Becky told him that they were happy to help with the books and he continued to grumble loudly as he handed his books over.

After that was completed, he loudly declared "Where the hell are the books?" in Stephanie's general direction. Stephanie had already begun to walk away so she turned around and said "Excuse me?" and he rephrased his question to "Where are the books?" and she walked him over to the new book displays.

After a few minutes, he walked towards the desk with a book in hand. Stephanie asked him if he was ready to check out and he said yes. She began to explain the new self checkout system and he became very angry saying he had been coming to this library for 40 years and he didn't want to use the machines. She offered to do it for him at the self check and he said he wanted to do it himself so she waited for him to move and he didn't. He walked up to the desk, put his cane up on the desk, and slammed the hardcover book onto the desk as loudly as he could, repeating that he had been a customer for over 40 years and he wanted to be checked out right here.

And a few days later...

I had a chance to speak with Mr. Ralph this afternoon. I happened to be at the interior book drop when he came in and said hello to him. He asked if he could just hand me his book and I took it from him. He then asked where the Wicked Witch of the West was. I asked him to not speak about any of my staff that way. I informed him that being asked to not put his cane on the countertops was my directive and was prompted by the scratch he left in the countertop the first time he became belligerent. He did try to do some arguing, but I made it clear that if his argumentative stance, abusive language or any slamming of his cane were to occur again, I would ask him to leave the library. I told him that as long as he treated the staff with respect, we would return that and help him in any way we could. He agreed, and shook my hand. He then went about his business with no further incident.

Get a room....

At 9:05am library customer came up to the desk very upset. She said that as she was parking her car in our parking lot she saw (in a car parked in the far rear of our lot) a couple having sex. They were in the back seat of the car. In her opinion, when she saw them, they were just finishing up and they drove off as she was coming into the library. She stated that she thought maybe the woman was a prostitute.



At about 8PM on 9/4/14 our security guard, told me about something he encountered while on his outside rounds. He noticed some odd rhythmic movement in a recent model Toyota. Approaching the vehicle he observed that the occupants were engaging in fellatio. When they noticed him they quickly composed themselves and left.






No comments:

Post a Comment