Thursday, March 5, 2015

Chris




Today would have been Chris' 52nd birthday. I think of him often and ponder what life would be like with him in it and getting to know my kids. His humor has carried into the next generation, which is a comfort in some ways. Granted, he was unique with his perspective on life. He left for Puerto Rico in the 80's to open the Chart House and join a band called Chronic Inflammation. He left his mark on Annapolis with antics only Chris could get away with-challenging a military officer to a foot race, where he showed up hung over with a beer in barefeet, as his competition warmed up with push ups. Think he won. He was notorious for party habits at the Chateau Relaxo, where he once fell into our Christmas tree, where my mother found him hugging. He took life lightly. it was all about fun and sharp humor. He had a great ability to quote, verbetim, Waltons Family Christmas. And most of Saturday night Live. Alan and I went to visit him a year after we began dating and what a phenomenal visit. When the house needed cleaning, we stepped outside and Chris hosed the house out with water (all stone and terra cotta). We swam in the rain forest, drank alot of rum, and ate phenomenal seafood. Puerto Rico will never be the same to me.

He weathered trials in his love life, which was part of the reason for his demise. I prefer to think of his warmth, his humor, and his great ability to write. he was just launching a restaurant column in a local publication in Puerto Rico.

I raise a glass to my brother.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Chris always made me laugh. A short bright shooting star. Now among the many missed that make us who we are today.
    Anniversaries are hard.
    Love you, Jen!

    ReplyDelete