Thursday, November 27, 2014

new orleans musings


Saturday night

I have just returned from a trip to the Big Easy, where every time I go, I come away with a different perspective. We traveled with a group who organizes Ravens road trips. I was a bit leery at first, as communication was sparse, but it all came together. It was a group of 214, so pretty impressive to move that many bodies without a hitch.
Saturday began with a reception with an open bar. Which can be dangerous in this city. Fortunately it was a 21 and over event and Maddie wasn't able to attend so I curbed my drinking to be fairly reasonable. It is a city that simply promotes, encourages, and celebrates alcohol. You can carry alcohol everywhere, into establishments, out of establishments, up to drive through margaritas, driving with margaritas, it is everywhere. What may set that off is the incredible cuisine and the music scene. We had a lunch to remember at the Gumbo shop, where they prepare jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, and crawfish chowder.
Breakfast was the Ruby Slipper, where they offer 11 different kinds of eggs benedict. And great bloody marys. Dinner was at the haunted Muriel's on Jackson Square, where I sipped on Turtle soup, and had pecan crusted drum. We popped upstairs to the seance room to visit the ghost and off to see the drunks of NOLA.
Ravens game was icing on the cake, as we came away with a win. Scary stadium though...very high with a steep pitch and high steps to the top. Fans couldn't have been nicer, even drunk. As most people are. All the time. As I heard from someone-there are no rules when it comes to alcohol-they do as they wish.

So, just as I recover from one sin city, I am off to another on the other coast-Las Vegas. I might need to check into a recovery center.

No comments:

Post a Comment