Sunday, March 3, 2013

chicken stories

I mentioned in an earlier blog that Alan has entered the world of raising chickens. I thought an update was in order, since I have seen signs of a serious mid life chicken crisis.
We have been very happy with the 4 ladies we house..Samantha, Carrie, Charlotte, and Miranda. They have been doing their job..we see 4 eggs a day most days. They aren't too loud. They are friendly. They chirp when they hear you coming and wait at the fence when you enter their chicken palace. Really, this is a palace compared to where they might be living on an eastern shore poultry farm. Alan has just build an addition onto their home..a small run area with a special little chicken door. Netted over so hawks can't help themselves to dinner.
So, just as we settled in to our small flock, he disappears one afternoon and returns with 3 more chickens. Almost doubling our population. Now, we don't live on acres of land. I made my protests-he assured me he was planning on giving them to another chicken farmer. Well, all but one. Immediately, the new chickens upset the pecking order. We had some bullies among the 'can't we all get along" ones. Chickens all want to have a boss and they fight for the position. It's not all what it cracks up to be, believe me.
I was releived to hear some of the new chickens were finding new homes until our dinner conversation came back to his favorite subject and I happen to hear the last few words of "raising chicks". What?! Wait a sec...NO ROOSTER. They are noisy, pushy, and most of the time cranky. Well, Alan says, you don't need a rooster. (Just as I get a handle on chicken knowledge, I am thrown another loop). You simply visit a chicken farm that has FERTILIZED eggs, and a brooding chicken will sit on them and hatch them. Kinda like a surrogate chicken scenario. Okay, give up. But please, no chicken killing for Sunday night dinners. I draw the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment