Monday, April 23, 2012

Reminiscing over Asheville


As we weather the speed bumps of life, I can't help but miss one of my favorite cities of Asheville NC. Andrew has taken a hiatus from Warren Wilson College and regrouping to get his degree finished. We spent a good deal of time in that charming city, where street musicians were common and restaurants used only locally grown produce. It is small, yet artsy and eclectic. It reminds me of a California hippie town in the south.
Maddie and I found ourselves in Asheville on a weekend where the Ravens were playing a in a playoff game. Against the Steelers no doubt. I prepared carefully...found a sports bar close to the hotel. The hotel, by the way (and not known to us) was 4 feet from the train tracks. Quite an eye opening experience at 3 AM. We wander into the bar..no one is in there. Okay..perhaps there's no football fans here. Bartender informs us the kitchen is closed and they are offering only alcohol. That won't do. So, now we have to scramble.
We head into Asheville, which is charming, but parking in challenging as in any city. Stress starts to set in as we comb the city for parking and dash to a bar we hope will have the game on. Luck is on our side..huge big screen. However, the live music is setting up in front of the screen. I have to thanks the owner of the bar..he politely asked the band to wait until the game was over so we (just maddie and I) could watch uninterrupted. It was a brutal loss...ahead by 20 points and we last in the last quarter. We headed straight to Appleby's for alcohol and chocolate.
I miss Laughing Seed Cafe, a vegan restaurant that's off the charts. I miss the art galleries. The music. The mountains. Perhaps when Bob abd Carol make their move to Greenville, I'll have another excuse to make a visit there.

No comments:

Post a Comment